- Proso millet - 1 cup
- Moong dal - ½ cup
- Ghee as required
- Cashew nuts as required
- Whole pepper- 1 teaspoon
- Jeera - 1 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Finely chopped ginger - ½ inch
- Curry Leaves - a spring
- Hing - a pinch
- Dry roast 1 cup millet and 1/2 cup moong dal on low flame till you get good aroma
- Rinse millet and dal mixture 4 times to remove impurities. Add 5 cups of water and salt. Cook the millet and dal.
- Avoid pressure cooking as it may burn the millet. Cook for 20 mins till you get thick paste-like consistency.
- Heat Ghee. Add whole pepper, jeera, ginger, curry leaves, hing, and cashews.
- Add tadka to pongal and mix well
- Boil for a few minutes. Serve hot with chutney or sambar.