Mapillai Samba, also identified as "Bride Groom Rice," is red rice native to Tamil Nadu. It's ideal for organic agriculture since it is resilient and needs few if any fertilisers or pesticides. It is a grain that lasts for 160 days. Admittedly,
mapillai samba, like some other native rice cultivars, has just about disappeared from our farmlands and marketplaces, clearing the way for heavily processed, nutrient inadequate white rice. Such rice now is cultivated by a small group of dedicated local farmers. This rice is from Thiruvannamalai, Tamil Nadu.
Mapillai Samba's Origin:
The name's roots can be discovered in Tamil folk tales. Several classical sports were formerly found essential for a man to illustrate his courage and strength. These sports are held to put both their strength and power into the experiment. Such a game was to carry the heavy rock in front of the whole, wherein the newly married bridegroom was requested to do so to prove his physical ability.
Information of concern:
During the Sangam period, the monarchs emerged to represent partially mappillai samba rice to their patrons. Despite the title "Bride Groom's Rice," it is destined for anybody who wants to strengthen their strength and energy.
Benefits of Mapillai Samba Rice:
- Red rice is high in iron and vitamins, which aid in the yield of Red blood cells, which are crucial for our circulatory and respiratory features.
It is significant in manganese, which allows the body to create energy. It
really is an antioxidant that helps protect the cells from free radicals created when energy is generated, and also safeguards our epidermis from premature ageing.
- Moreover, red rice contains a high amount of zinc, which aids in the healing process and retains the body's defence mechanisms functioning correctly. Iron and zinc help to increase haemoglobin levels in the body while also bolstering capillaries.
- With one supply of red rice, you can get 23% of the b vitamins your body needs to function. This vitamin is needed to help weigh the advancement of stress hormones, red blood cells, and Genetic material cells.
- Bride Groom Rice's dietary fibre aims to reinforce the digestive resources and protect against gastrointestinal problems such as bloating, diarrhoea, and stomach ulcers.
- Regular intake of red rice will prevent you from getting asthma, regulate cholesterol and diabetes, and encourage a healthy heart and better intestines.
It can be prepared like rice and used to make Idli, Vadas, Upma, Pongal, and other meals.
Recipe for gluten-free mapillai samba rice:
- Wash the rice and drench it in water for 90 min.
- Place a bowl vessel on the stove, add water roughly 3 times the number of rice, and bring to a boil.
- Place the cleaned and immersed rice in a pot of water and keep the heat low.
- Sprinkle with salt - Optional
- Once it has totally absorbed the water, test to see whether the rice is cooked; if not, add a small amount of water.
- Repeat the above procedure by adding a bit of water till the rice is cooked. It typically takes around 30 - 60 mins.
- Absorb the excess water into a glass dish. You can use the excess water as a morning drink. It is identified to provide a huge amount of energy, is a validated remedy for ulcers, and is typically offered to new moms to help them rebuild their power.