Urad dal is a high-protein food that is frequently used in Indian cooking. Some of the well-known dishes utilizing urad dal include the fiery urad dal curry from the north, dosa, idli, and urad dal vada from the south, among many others. Here are a few kid-friendly, healthy urad dal recipes that you can start preparing quickly.
Urad dal for infants:
Infants can begin to eat urad dal in the type of idlis, kichadi, porridge, etc. at the age of eight months. Urad dal would then augment mental development and digestive health. Additionally, it aids in the bone's expansion and fortification. It is a satisfying meal that will keep you full. Urad dal is good food for children and infants to put on weight as it is packed with carbohydrates, protein, and fat.
7 Delicious Urad Dal Recipes for Adults and Kids
Let's look at some simple recipes you can make with urad dal now that you're conscious of its health benefits.
Ulundhu Kali Recipe:
- 1/2 cup black urad dal.
- 2 tbsp of optional raw rice
- 1 cup palm jaggery
- 2 cups of water.
- 1/2 cup of sesame/gingelly oil.
- One-half teaspoon of dry ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp of cardamom powder
- Dry roast the urad dal in the pan till a pleasant smell appears. Once finished, remove and cool.
- Dry roast the rice in the same pan until puffy. Once done, remove and cool it down.
- Move to a blender jar and pulse till powdered forms.
- Put palm jaggery in a saucepan, fill it with water to the spot of submergence, and heat it till it disperses and dissolves totally.
- Remove impurities by stretching the palm jaggery water.
- Add two cups of water to the ground urad rice powder in a heavy-bottomed pan.
- Use a whisk to thoroughly combine. Cook the urad dal on a low flame till it is cooked thoroughly.
- Add the cardamom powder, dry ginger powder, and palm jaggery syrup.
- Combine well.
- Mix well after adding the sesame oil.
- As it thickens, stir constantly with a spatula.
- To make sure the kali is complete, Rolling should be easy if you are immersed in the water with your fingers, use some kali, and try. Once the point has been reached, quash the fire.
- Apply a little oil, roll into tiny balls, and serve!
Recipe for Urad Dal Porridge:
- 2 tbsp. of urad dal
- 1 teaspoon of rice is optional.
- 1 tablespoon of powdered palm jaggery, or more if desired.
- 2 tsp of optional grated coconut
- Water as necessary.
- A dash of salt is optional.
- One cardamom.
- Prepare all of the ingredients. Rice and urad dal must be washed thoroughly before rinsing for at least thirty minutes. Jaggery should be measured and set apart. If using jaggery that contains impurities, dissolve it and stress the water. After thirty min, in a mixture, blend the coconut (if using), immersed urad dal, and rice to a smooth paste with a cup of water. Buttermilk should be in a pourable consistency. Put aside.
- Add salt, cardamom powder, or crushed cardamom to the urad dal paste in a saucepan. Combine well. For the next five minutes, or till the urad dal is cooked thoroughly, cook everything over low heat. It must be constantly stirred to avoid adhering to the bottom. If it begins to become too thick, thin it out with water.
- Add powdered palm jaggery or palm jaggery syrup once the urad dal is finished cooking. Cook the blending till it attains the stability of porridge and emits a flavor and aroma. It could take five minutes. Once completed, turn off the flame and if wanted, add ghee.
Urad Dal Halwa Recipe:
- One-fourth cup of homemade urad dal flour.
- Optional: Palm jaggery, 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons.
- 2 tsp of homemade ghee or sesame seed oil, or as required.
- A tiny bit of salt
- A generous pinch of cardamom powder or dry ginger powder
- 1/2 cup of water.
The bowls and spoons you are using to feed your baby must be disinfected in a hot water-filled container for 5 minutes and then used.
- Urad dal flour and palm jaggery must be evaluated and set aside. Add grated palm jaggery and water to a pan till the sugar is fully submerged. Warm it up till it starts to melt. Once finished, extinguish the flame.
- Put the urad dal flour into the same pan and use a strainer to extract the liquified palm jaggery water. It's been extensively merged. Make sure there are no lumps formed. Till the urad dal is cooked properly, cook the urad dal flour on low heat for five to eight minutes. It must be constantly stirred while cooking to prevent sticking to the pot.
- When the halwa shapes a mass that is exiting the pan's edges, add oil or ghee slowly and gradually and mix constantly for 3 to 5 mins. Add cardamom powder or dry ginger powder, cashew nuts, and sesame oil or ghee at this point, and mix shortly. Once done, turn it off.
Urad Dal Milk Recipe:
- One fourth cup of urad dal.
- 1 tablespoon of finely ground palm sugar, or to taste.
- One cup of water.
- One cup of milk.
- 1/8 tsp of dry ginger powder or cardamom
- A thick-bottomed pan must be loaded with one fourth cup of urad dal. Dry roast for five minutes over a low to moderate flame, or till it starts to turn golden. Once done, detach from the flame. Let it rest.
- Put the melded roasted urad dal in the mixer. Mix it into a powder form. It is finely ground urad dal. This may be ready in huge volumes, saved in a sealed container, and utilized as required.
- Add 1 cup of water to two teaspoons of urad dal powder in a saucepan. Whisk the mixture thoroughly.
- Till the urad dal is cooked thoroughly, cook everything over low heat for five min. It must be constantly stirred to avoid adhering to the bottom. Add powdered palm jaggery after it is finished cooking.
- After thoroughly combining, cook for yet another 3 minutes to discharge the pleasant scent. At this point, add the milk and extensively combine it. Add cardamom powder after that. This should boil.
- When done, negate the flame. Drizzle it into glasses once it has been cooled and serve hot.
Urad Dal Ladoo Recipe:
- 1/4 cup of urad dal.
- 2 tablespoons of optional sesame seeds
- a half cup of palm jaggery
- 2 tbsp. of mixed nuts.
- 1 cardamom
- 3 tablespoons of ghee
- A thick-bottomed pan must be filled with ¼ cup of urad dal. Dry roast for 5 minutes above a low to medium flame, or till it starts turning golden. When finished, detach from the fire. Let it rest.
- Put the blended roasted urad dal in the mixer. Meld it into a powder form. Put this apart.
- Place the jaggery or palm jaggery in a saucepan. Simmer the combination while adding litter water till it mildly thickens. To let go of the fluid of contaminants, stress it. Get it ready.
- Maintain the remaining ingredients ready. Sesame seeds must be pleasantly cooked over medium heat in a thick-bottomed pan.
- Once finished, take it out of the pan and set it aside.
- Use 1 tablespoon of ghee to braise the nuts. For one or two minutes, roast it. Once done, remove from the pan. In a blender, mix the sesame seeds, cardamom, and roasted nuts for five to ten seconds until they form a mildly coarse powder.
- The remaining ghee and urad dal flour must now be added to the pan. Roast over low heat for 5 minutes, or till a pleasant smell emerges and the color mildly changes.
- Add the powdered sesame and nut mixture next. Combine well. Pour the jaggery syrup after that.
- After extensively merging it all, turn off the fire. Whenever the blending is just hot enough just to grab in the hand, start shaping balls. When done, put it in a sealed container.
Urad Dal Rice Recipe:
- 1 cup of rice.
- Split Urad dal: 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons.
- 1/4 cup grated coconut.
- 10 small cloves of garlic.
- 1/2 teaspoon of sesame oil.
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3.5 cups of water.
Sesame seeds chutney
- 1 teaspoon oil
- ½ cup of sesame seeds.
- 3 to 4 red chilies.
- 2 to 3 tbsp of grated coconut
- Add salt as needed.
- A little tamarind.
- Amount out the rice and urad dal. Garlic must be sliced and managed to keep on the side with the other additives. Rice and urad dal should be cleaned together again and immersed in water for ten minutes.
- Sesame oil is used to warm a pressure cooker. Add the garlic cloves and mix a little bit. Drain the water and after which add the rice and urad dal that has been doused. Cook them for two minutes.
- Grated coconut is then added. Combine well. Add the required quantity of water after that, and then bring the mixture to a boil. Then shield the pressure cooker's lid and simmer it all for 3 to 4 whistles over medium heat. Only after the stress has been released, open the cooker and gradually fluff the rice with a spoon. If required, drizzle sesame oil on top.
Urad Dal Khichdi:
- 2 tbsp. of rice
- 1 tablespoon of urad dal
- 1/4 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- one garlic.
- Add salt as needed.
- Optional: Grated Coconut, 2 teaspoons.
- 1 cup of water.
- 1/4 teaspoon ghee or sesame oil
- After washing, soak the rice and urad dal for thirty to sixty minutes in hot water. After depleting the water, put the soaked rice and urad dal in a cooking pot.
- Garlic is then added after the cumin seeds.
- Add salt and now optionally add grated coconut (for babies above one year).
- Add a cup of water, then stir thoroughly. Afterward, shield the pressure cooker's cap and cook it all for three to four whistles over low heat.
- Open the cooker once the pressure has been released, then mash the food properly till it is smooth. If you'd like, you also could mix the additives.