Poongar rice is red, hand-pounded rice. It is parboiled. It is normally cultivated during Navarai (between December 15th to March 14th). It also performs well during other seasons. Saline, Clayey and Sandy clay soil is preferred for cultivating this variety. The color of the rice is red and it has coarse grains.
- It is good for body metabolism.
- It strengthens the body.
- Even its husk is very nutritious and tasty.
- It induces appetite.
- It resolves hormonal issues of women.
Poongar RICE DOSAI:
Preparation time: 10 hours
Cooking time: 5 minutes
Servings: 2 person
Recipe category: Breakfast \ Dinner
Recipe cuisine: Indian
- Poongar rice: 1 cup
- Idli rice: 1 cup
- Urad Dhal: 1\2 cup
- Fenugreek: 1\2 tsp
- Oil: as needed
- Salt: 1 tsp
- Soak the rice for 4 hours.
- Soak the other ingredients for 2 hours
- Grind it to make a paste-like we do it usually for dosai preparation
- You have to be careful while grinding the poongar rice. It takes longer time to grind due to the outer husk
- Add salt to the finer mixture and leave it for 8 hours.
- Now you can make tasteful dosai which can be served with coconut or tomato chutney.
All the above-mentioned health benefits are not scientifically tested by B&B organics. The farmers believe that the substance showed these characteristics.