In ancient times, this rice was grown in the forest but now Kattuyanam rice is a traditional variety of rice that is grown in South India particularly in Tamil Nadu. It grows as a tall plant that can hide an elephant. Hence the name Kattuyanam.
- It is rich in folic acid and great for the digestion
- Rich in minerals
- It helps in the healthy functioning of the heart and helps in good digestion
Recipe: Kattuyanam Rice Appey
- Kattuyanam rice – 200 gm
- Urad dal- 25 gm
- Fenugreek seeds – ½ tbsp
- Jaggery – 250gm
- Cardamom – a pinch
- Dry ginger powder – 1 tbsp
- Soak the kattuyanam rice, urad dal and fenugreek seeds for 4 to 6 hours.
- After they are soaked for 4 to 6 hours, grind it to a fine paste. The consistency of the paste should be like Idli batter. Allow it to ferment overnight
- After fermentation, add jaggery, cardamom and dry ginger powder. Mix well
- Then pour that batter into the Paniyaram moulds
- You get tasty Appey
Disclaimer: All the above-mentioned health benefits are not scientifically tested by B&B organics. The farmers believe that the substance showed these characteristics.