Idly rice comes from the medium-sized grain cultivated mostly in Tamil Nadu. Idli rice or Parboiled rice is rice that has undergone a steam-pressure process in its inedible husk. There are three stages involved in parboiling. This immediately takes place after harvesting but before milling. This makes the rice turn light yellow in color. The processing of rice improves its texture and storage. They are soaking the rice, steaming it and then drying it in its husk. This rice is also called converted rice or easy-to-cook rice.
- In comparison to white rice, parboiled rice has more thiamine and niacin.
- Moreover, parboiled rice is higher in fiber and protein than refined white rice.
- It contains antioxidants and protects us from cellular damage.
- The process of digestion of parboiled rice encourages the growth of probiotics or beneficial bacteria. Probiotics enhance gut health.
- Parboiled rice will not lead to sudden spikes in blood sugar as compared to other types of refined white rice.
- Parboiled rice has longer shelf rice than Raw rice.
Recipe: Ragi Idli Recipe/ Finger millet idli/Kezhvaragu idli
In this recipe we have made use of B&B Organics Finger millet whole grain it is very healthy as well as tasty.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Fermentation time: 6 hours
Total time: 30 minutes.
Recipe Category: Breakfast/Dinner
Recipe cuisine: South Indian
B&B Organics Ragi / Finger millet – 1 cup
B&B Organics Idli rice/ Parboiled Rice-1 cup
B&B Organics Whole Urad dal-½ cup
B&B Organics Fenugreek seeds- ¼ teaspoon
B&B Organics Salt 1 teaspoon or as needed
B&B Organics sesame oil for greasing the idli plates.
- Method to prepare the Idli batter-
- Take ragi and parboiled rice separately in a mixing bowl and wash it in water twice and then soak it in water.
- Take urad dal and fenugreek seeds wash twice and add water to soak them. Leave them aside for 4 to 5 hours.
- After 4 hours strain the water and grind the urad dal in a grinder. Now sprinkle little water at regular intervals and grind the urad dal to a smooth and thick batter. The time taken to grind urad dal is about 20 minutes.
- Now transfer the urad dal batter to a mixing bowl.
- Next, grind the ragi and idli rice together to a fine batter. Now transfer the contents of the grinder to the same mixing bowl. Now add salt and mix both the batters well and keep aside for fermentation for 6 to 8 hours.
- After fermentation, the batter becomes fluffy and doubled in quantity.
- Grease gingerly oil in each idli mould of the idli plates. Pour the batter. Steam the idlis in an idli cooker for about 10 minutes.
- Ater the idlis are well-cooked remove from idli plates with a wet spoon. Now ragi idlis are ready. Serve with Sambar/Chutney/Idli podi.
All the above-mentioned health benefits are not scientifically tested by B&B organics. The farmers believe that the substance showed these characteristics.